1. 1994 upper deck all-time heroes 125th anniversary parallel
2. 1994 upper deck all-time heroes (heroes of baseball) 125th anniversary parallel
3. 1995 sonic baseball greats
4. 1994 upper deck the american epic
5. 1995 upper deck sp championship (october legends)
6. 1995 upper deck sp championship (classic performances)
7. 1995 upper deck sp championship series (october legends) die-cut parallel
8. 1995 upper deck sp championship series (classic performances) die-cut parallel
9. 1996 danbury mint
and so begins the glut of parallels. it was great to have a couple of parallels to find back in the late 1990's, but it is quite tedious today. i see that i have a card out of sequence on this sheet, but i'll fix that later. lots of good stuff on this sheet, but the highlight may well be the pete rose card from the 1994 upper deck the american epic set (a companion set to ken burns' baseball documentary) that features garvey lurking in the background as rose celebrates hit number 4192.
here are the backs:
1. 1998 fleer sports illustrated world series fever
2. 1999 fleer sports illustrated greats of the game
3. 1999 fleer sports illustrated greats of the game autograph
4. 1999 fleer sports illustrated greats of the game cover collection (dodgers)
5. 1999 fleer sports illustrated greats of the game cover collection (padres)
6. 1999 upper deck retro
7. 1999 upper deck retro gold parallel
8. 1999 upper deck retro inkredible auto
9. 2000 nabisco all-stars
garvey has been on the cover of sports illustrated four times, and three of those covers are represented on this sheet. the first card features a cover from 1974 during the world series between the a's and dodgers. that's garvey in the lower left corner of the montage. the other two cards featuring covers showcase the 1976 and 1983 covers, respectively, with the '83 cover also being used for the autograph insert. the only garvey si cover not used for a card is the april, 1982 baseball preview issue cover.
in other news, the inkredible auto from 1999 ud retro was the first card i ever purchased on ebay. i had gone onto the site to find a 1995 upper deck sp championship kirk gibson card that i had seen somewhere, and i discovered that the garv had an autographed card on the market. the first of many, as it turns out.
here are the backs:
the 2000 nabisco all-star card was the last card of garvey in the 20th century, and it is the 36th post-playing career card in the binders. that's an average of about 3 new garvey cards per year. the 21st century would blow that ratio out of the water. stay tuned.