a baseball card celebration of the dodgers and the infield of my youth.
02 June 2010
1978 topps joe ferguson - the card that should have been!
in july of 1978, just about 2 years after they had traded him away, the dodgers reacquired joe ferguson. in exchange for the catcher and sometime outfielder, the dodgers sent rafael landestoy and jeffrey leonard to the astros. ferguson was featured in the 1978 topps set as an astro,
but he was a big part of the dodgers nl championship team of 1978, and so deserves a place in my 1978 topps dodgers burger king/update set as well. actually, everyone who played for the dodgers in either 1977 or 1978 will get a place, but let's not diminish the role ferguson played.
houston had been using ferguson exclusively at catcher, and once he returned to la, he was used the same way as despite a couple of appearances in the outfield, but the dodgers' biggest need was for fergie to replace the struggling steve yeager down the stretch. ferguson got the lion's share of the starts behind the plate from july through late september, hitting .237 with 7 home runs. this was an improvement over yeager, who was struggling mightily at the plate, hitting below .200 with fewer home runs. still, yeager excelled at throwing out would be basestealers, leading the league at 47% (compared to ferguson's 31%).
once the postseason started, yeager was the catcher and ferguson got just one start - game 6 of the world series. in that game, he went 2 for 3 with 2 doubles off of catfish hunter, but the dodgers fell to the yankees 7-2.
without further ado, here's the 1978 topps joe ferguson card that should have been:
the photo came from a team issued postcard. not sure what year, but the sideburns sure match! this would be the only game action photo the dodgers' topps set had in 1978. that was a treat reserved for the mets, yankees, and a few other teams who may have played in yankee stadium or candlestick of all places. here's the back (which was pretty easy to do since i just had to update the number, the 'acquired' line and the team reference on the bottom):
here's to you joe ferguson, and your 1978 card that should have been!
1 - 2007 upper deck sweet spot classic steve garvey/reggie smith dual auto 2 - 2008 donruss threads steve garvey #/250
3 - 2014 topps update justin turner walmart blue border
4 - 2014 topps update justin turner black parallel
5 - 2014 topps update justin turner camo parallel
6 - 2014 topps update justin turner target red border
7 - 2014 topps update justin turner pink parallel
8 - 2014 topps alex guerrero target red border
9 - 2014 topps chrome alex guerrero xfractor
bonus non-dodger cards -
you will be rewarded!
(1) too many verlanders 7/22/14
(1) mark hoyle 8/10/14
(1) the junior junkie 8/30/14
(1) bob walk the plank 9/18/14
(1) jay barker fan's junk 10/16/14
(1) the angels in order 10/17/14
(1) all the way to the backstop 10/18/14
(2) 2x3 heroes pwe 11/3/14
(2) play at the plate 11/3/14
(1) waiting 'til next year 11/6/14
(1) night owl cards pwe 11/21/14
(2) off hiatus 11/21/14
(1) 2x3 heroes pwe 12/2/14
(1) 'o' no another orioles blog 12/5/14
(2) zippy zappy 12/8/14
(1) life in sports card hobby 12/9/14
(2) too many verlanders 12/15/14
(2) dime boxes 12/15/14
(1) it's like having my own card shop 6/18/14
(1) play at the plate 8/18/14
(1) arpsmith 10/16/14
(2) bob walk the plank 10/21/14
(2) the angels in order 10/21/14
(2) the junior junkie 10/21/14
(1) mr. haverkamp 10/28/14
(1) off hiatus 10/28/14
(1) 2x3 heroes pwe 10/28/14
(1) fuji pwe 10/28/14
(2) jay barker fan's junk pwe 10/28/14
(2) night owl cards pwe 11/25/14
(1) tim wallach pwe 11/25/14
(2) too many verlanders 11/26/14
(1) hot corner 11/26/14
(1) zippy zappy 11/26/14
(1) dime boxes 11/26/14
(1) remember the astrodome 11/26/14
(1) bob walk the plank 11/26/14
(2) waiting 'til next year 11/26/14
(1) play at the plate 11/26/14
(2) all the way to the backstop 11/26/14
(2) mark hoyle 12/5/14
(2) 2x3 heroes pwe 12/5/14
(1a) tim wallach pwe 12/15/14
(2) life in sports card hobby 12/15/14
(2) 'o' no another orioles blog 12/15/14
(1) = initial trade package
(2) = completed trade package
click it - you will be rewarded! for trading, not clicking.
let's trade, part 2
i collect dodgers cards, any and all cards featuring steve garvey, ron cey, dave lopes or bill russell, all topps cards of the players who were featured in the 1978 topps set as dodgers, cards featuring dodger stadium, o-pee-chee variations, cards showing memorial patches and/or armbands, and cards showing the double play turn at second base. i am also currently working on my 1971 topps set. i have a lot of cards to trade!