31 March 2012

mission accomplished! and then some.

so, i went to the big card show last night.  no mr. mint, but there were a lot of people who were there to have things authenticated.  i found that strange.  i was there before the doors opened so it wasn't crowded at all.  there were dealers from all over the midwest, including a guy i have bought from before who hails from indiana.  he fulfilled my goal of picking up a 1959 topps sandy koufax
which completed my dodger team set from that year.  the best thing about this dealer was that he was charging pretty much the same that i would have spent on ebay for a similar card.  that's nice.  he also sold me a 1964 topps koufax
which completed my 1964 topps dodger team set.  i was on a roll.  i also completed my 1961 topps dodger team set by picking up this 1961 topps nl strikeout leaders card featuring both koufax and don drysdale
i also trimmed some other team set needs by picking up a 1954 topps gil hodges
and a 1958 topps duke snider
i even picked up a few cards for some fellow bloggers.  this one (or the one i already owned)
will go to jacobmrley towards his rookie cup quest, and this one goes to captain canuck.
i should have scanned the front - clyde king has some serious charles nelson reilly glasses.  i picked up a couple of things for some other folks too, so watch your mail.

i also picked up a card that wasn't on my want list, but had to be had thanks to the price and the double play on the front
yes, it's beat up, but i wouldn't have a 1956 yankee card be any other way.

i also completed my 1973 topps set (assuming that i get the cards i ordered last week in the mail) and picked up some other cards as well.  all in all it was a good run through without having to deal with the autograph crowds that i'm sure are there today and will be there tomorrow.

4 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

1959, 1961, and 1964 all done?! Awesome!

I'm close myself... but a couple of guys named Warren and Henry are holding me back.

Dodgerbobble said...

Nice pickups and congrats on finishing the team sets!

After the '55 Koufax, I think the '59 is my favorite.

Stealing Home said...

i was trying to get that same 59 koufax in ebay last night. i saw your post and thought - wow - i was bidding against you !
anyways..i slept and didnt get it as there was no congrats letter in my email.
great dodgers pickups. no, fantasic ones.

topher (Crackin Wax/Varsity Trading Cards) said...

Man those are sweet. Great pick ups!