a baseball card celebration of the dodgers and the infield of my youth.
15 June 2010
on target field
let it be known that i will add 'cards featuring target field' to my list of cards i collect. it really is a great ballpark and visually pleasing as well. one of the most recognizable aspects of it (akin to the glove and coke bottle in san francisco) is the 'minny and paul' structure in centerfield.
despite wearing their pants kind of low, these guys are pretty cool. after a twins home run, the thing lights up and it looks like they are shaking hands. not quite as entertaining as this commercial, but still a nice touch.
upper deck has actually already featured target field on a card:
too bad they couldn't get an internal shot, but i am guessing this was taken well before the seats were completed. there's no snow, so it must have been taken last fall. it's not too often that concrete median barrier is featured on a baseball card...
so, we can go ahead and forget the metrodome, as this should be one of the last cards produced that features a photo taken under it's roof:
i've been to a few games already, including the first rain out in target field history.
here's a 2010 goose joak original of justin morneau using one of the pictures i took at one of the games.
you can kind of tell that the seating is more vertical than it was at the metrodome, so you feel closer to the action. this photo was taken from the second level with a decent zoom.the views all around the stadium are good, there are a few obstructed seats but plenty of standing room in the concourse, and almost the entire stadium is accessible to anyone with a ticket which is nice.
there are a lot of nice touches around the stadium - the statues of killebrew, carew, and puckett; the gold glove on the plaza; the murals of former players throughout; and even the 1961 - 2009 topps cards screened onto the fence on the north side of the property featuring former and current players. my favorites - 1965 jimmie hall and 1980 ken landreaux.
1 - 2007 upper deck sweet spot classic steve garvey/reggie smith dual auto 2 - 2014 topps archives duke snider
bonus non-dodger cards -
you will be rewarded!
(1) hot corner 3/13/14
(2) fuji 6/18/14
(1) too many verlanders 6/24/14
(1) bo rosny 6/26/14
(2) rhubarb runner 6/26/14
(1) arpsmith 7/12/14
(1) p-town tom 7/14/14
(2) tim wallach cards 7/14/14
(1) democratic roadkill 7/17/14
(2) crackin' wax 7/22/14
(1) too many verlanders 7/22/14
(1) jay barker fan's junk 8/6/14
(1) mark hoyle 8/10/14
(1) the junior junkie 8/30/14
(2) dime boxes 9/5/14
(1) bob walk the plank 9/18/14
(2) 2x3 heroes pwe 9/22/14
(2) sportscards from the dollar store 10/7/14
(1) jay barker fan's junk 10/16/14
(1) the angels in order 10/17/14
(1) all the way to the backstop 10/18/14
(1) tim wallach cards 5/20/14
(2) the writer's journey 5/20/14
(1) fuji 6/4/14
(2) jaybarkerfan 6/4/14
(2) 2x3 heroes 6/4/14
(1) it's like having my own card shop 6/18/14
(2) thoughts and sox 6/18/14
(1) rhubarb runner 6/18/14
(2) reader mark 6/18/14
(2) arpsmith 6/23/14
(2) bo rosny 7/8/14
(1) dime boxes 7/8/14
(1) crackin' wax (take my cards sase) 7/9/14
(2) p-town tom 7/17/14
(2) hot corner 8/18/14
(2) too many verlanders 8/18/14
(1) play at the plate 8/18/14
(2) democratic roadkill 8/18/14
(1) 2x3 heroes (pwe) 8/18/14
(2) tim wallach cards 8/18/14
(2) jaybarkerfan's junk 8/27/14
(1) sportscards from the dollar store 8/27/14
(1) arpsmith 10/16/14
(2) bob walk the plank 10/21/14
(2) the angels in order 10/21/14
(2) the junior junkie 10/21/14
(1) = initial trade package
(2) = completed trade package
click it - you will be rewarded! for trading, not clicking.
let's trade, part 2
i collect dodgers cards, any and all cards featuring steve garvey, ron cey, dave lopes or bill russell, all topps cards of the players who were featured in the 1978 topps set as dodgers, cards featuring dodger stadium, o-pee-chee variations, cards showing memorial patches and/or armbands, and cards showing the double play turn at second base. i am also currently working on my 1971 topps set. i have a lot of cards to trade!