a baseball card celebration of the dodgers and the infield of my youth.
09 September 2010
getting caught up with the out of place guys
as fas as out of place guys go, luis gonzalez didn't have that bad of a season with the dodgers in 2007
however, we dodger fans resented him for blocking matt kemp and then complaining about losing playing time late in the season to the bison. after 15 home runs and a .278 average, gonzalez went back to florida.
that opened the door for ned to inexplicably sign andruw jones for the 2008 season
jones hit .158 in 75 soul sucking games for the dodgers. it's hard to believe how long it took joe torre to sit andruw down.
thankfully, ned resisted the urge to sign some other washed up outfielder for the 2009 season. instead, he brought in orlando hudson to replace jeff kent.
things started out well for hudson - he hit the first dodger cycle since 1970 in the dodgers' home opener and made the all star team. but, as the season went on, he fell out of favor and was actually benched in favor of ronnie belliard. he and his gold glove wound up in minnesota.
along with another out of place guy from 2009 - jim thome
ned wanted a matt stairs of his very own, and got thome from the white sox just before rosters expanded. in 17 games, which means 17 pinch hit appearances, thome had 4 hits (all singles), 3 rbi and 7 strikeouts. he was also 1 for 3 in the postseason (also just a single). still, it's cool that there are a number of cards featuring thome as a dodger and i am happy he is doing so well in minnesota this year.
that brings us up to date with the evolution of the out of place guys (i profiled this year's entry garret anderson previously). i can't wait to see who ned brings on board next year...
1 - 2007 upper deck sweet spot classic steve garvey/reggie smith dual auto 2 - 2008 donruss threads steve garvey #/250
3 - 2014 topps update justin turner black parallel
4 - 2014 topps update justin turner pink parallel
5 - 2015 topps yasiel puig 'robbed in right' insert
bonus non-dodger cards -
you will be rewarded!
(1) too many verlanders 12/15/14
(1) the angels in order pwe 12/18/14
(1) catching up with collecting 12/22/14
(1) cards on cards 1/8/15
(2) mr haverkamp 1/12/15
(1) bob walk the plank 1/15/15
(1) reader john 1/16/15
(1) the writer's journey pwe 1/27/15
(1) jaybarkerfan's junk 1/28/15
(1a) jaybarkerfan's junk 2/6/15
(2) fuji 2/25/15
(1) bob walk the plank 2/25/15
(2) highly subjective 2/28/15
(2) arpsmith 3/2/15
(1) night owl cards 3/7/15
(1) highly subjective and completely arbitrary 3/18/15
(2) remember the astrodome 3/19/15
(1) off hiatus 3/20/15
(1) 2x3 heroes pwe 3/20/15
(2) crackin' wax take my cards pwe 3/20/15
(1) it's like having my own card shop 6/18/14
(1) arpsmith 10/16/14
(1) mr. haverkamp 10/28/14
(1) fuji pwe 10/28/14
(1) tim wallach pwe 11/25/14
(1) hot corner 11/26/14
(1) remember the astrodome 11/26/14
(1) play at the plate 11/26/14
(1a) tim wallach pwe 12/15/14
(2) cards on cards 1/26/15
(2) bob walk the plank 1/26/15
(2) reader john 1/26/15
(2) the writer's journey pwe 2/2/15
(1) highly subjective 2/28/15
(2) jaybarkerfan's junk 3/16/15
(1) crackin' wax (take my cards pwe) 3/16/15
(1) chronicles of fuji pwe 3/16/15
(1) cards on cards pwe 3/16/15
(2) catching up with collecting 3/16/15
(1a) play at the plate pwe 3/16/15
(1) bob walk the plank 3/17/15
(1) 2x3 heroes 3/17/15
(1) the junior junkie pwe 3/17/15
(2) angels in order 3/20/15
(1) = initial trade package
(2) = completed trade package
click it - you will be rewarded! for trading, not clicking.
let's trade, part 2
i collect dodgers cards, any and all cards featuring steve garvey, ron cey, dave lopes or bill russell, all topps cards of the players who were featured in the 1978 topps set as dodgers, cards featuring dodger stadium, o-pee-chee variations, cards showing memorial patches and/or armbands, and cards showing the double play turn at second base. i am also currently working on my 1971 topps set. i have a lot of cards to trade!