30 July 2015

a living display of my steve garvey binders

since i began posting the contents of my steve garvey binders, i've added a few cards.  rather than update those past posts, i have re-scanned (some of) those affected binder pages and will repost the entirety of my garvey binders below.  i plan to update this as often as i obtain new cards/items to add to the collection.  i've also got a have/want list posted (but still under construction) at my want list site, which will be similarly updated as warranted.

so, without further ado, here are my steve garvey binders:


































































































 






























































































thanks to everyone who stuck with me through what turned out to be some fairly narrowly focused posts.  i may have done it for myself, but i appreciate your interest and support.

8 comments:

Daniel Wilson said...

Wow! That is an amazing collection!

Nick said...

Now THAT'S what I call a player collection.

Jim Dolbow said...

This is amazing collection. I just met Steve Garvey last month. Great conversation. I may have to copycat you and start a Garvey collection.

gcrl said...

I can help you get started...

MrMopar said...

Always enjoy perusing another Garvey collection, especially one as complete as yours!

JBrian said...

I have a unique Garvey item, but I'll never be able to prove the provenance.

Back in 1971, as a teenage Dodger fan growing up in Southern California, I went to a game at Dodger Stadium on a Sunday afternoon in May 1971. Series 3 of the 1971 Topps cards had just come out and I, as usual, took a stack of baseball cards just in case I got the change to get an autograph. Back then, during Sunday home games, the Dodgers set up tables on each level where one or two players would sign autographs before the game. For free! (Those were the days.) The players at the table on my level were Von Joshua and little-known Steve Garvey. When I got to the front of the line, I presented my newly-acquired 1971 Topps Steve Garvey card to Steve Garvey who took it, his eyes widened, and said "Where did you get this!?" I told him and he turned to Von Joshua and said excitedly, "Look, I'm on a baseball card!" He showed it around and signed it for me and gave it back. I still have it. Like I said, I'll never be able to prove it, but I have the very first Topps baseball card signed by Steve Garvey.

gcrl said...

@JBrian - that is a fantastic story! sorry it took me so long to find your comment. i got autographs at those tables in the late 70s and early 80s, but never garvey. more recently, i went to some autograph events hosted by the twins where a few players gave a similar reaction to seeing a new card of themselves - but it was never their first card. thanks for sharing!

AtomicAsphalt said...

Great find. Just happened upon your blog today. What a treasure chest. Thank you.