17 July 2009

rod beck, harry caray and perfection on cardboard

i haven't posted any of my favorite cards lately, i don't think. here's one now - 1999 fleer tradition rod beck. it's not one of my favorites because of shooter's mustache, although that is awesome. it's because of the harry caray memorial patch, the fact that beck has his hat over his heart, and the look on his face. whether this photo was taken during a moment of silence for harry or not, it has that feeling for me.

my first visit to wrigley wasn't until 1998 (to see the dodgers), so i missed out on seeing caray in action. the cubs had a large version of this patch up next to the broadcast booth where vin scully was sitting. seeing scully there made me think quite a bit about how much i appreciate his work, and really how much a part of my life he has become. i am sure it was the same way for cubs fans and harry caray.

so take a minute to raise a toast to harry, and rod beck too, while you're at it. together, they were perfect.

3 comments:

Carl Crawford Cards said...

Great post on that card. Funny how one small detail can really add a ton of meaning to a card like that.

Captain Canuck said...

I feel the very same way about his son, Skip.
Man do I miss that guy...

Wrigley Wax said...

Holy Cow! Nice post. The booth still has the Harry Caray logo on it today.